Sodium Metabisulphite 25kg Bag

Sodium Metabisulphite 25kg Bag

PRICE (excluding VAT) QTY
Each £33.25 QTY 20+£30.75QTY 40+£29.75

Safety Information

Skin corrosion/irritation
Exclaimation mark
H302 Harmful if swallowed.
H318 Causes serious eye damage.
P264 Wash hands thoroughly after handling
P280 Wear protective gloves/ protective clothing/ eye protection/ face protection.
P301 + P312 IF SWALLOWED: Call a POISON CENTER or doctor/ physician if you feel unwell.
P330 Rinse Mouth
P305 + P351 + P338 IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing.
P310 Immediately call a POISON CENTRE or doctor/physician
P501 Dispose of contents/ container in accordance with the local regulations.

Sodium Metabisulphite. 25kg Bag  Food Grade

Sodium metabisulphite or sodium pyrosulfite (IUPAC spelling; Br. E. sodium metabisulphite or sodium pyrosulphite) is an inorganic compound of chemical formula Na2S2O5. The substance is sometimes referred to as disodium (metabisulphite). It is used as a disinfectant, antioxidant and preservative agent.

It is used as a preservative and antioxidant in food and is also known as E223.

It may cause allergic reactions in those who are sensitive to sulfites, including respiratory reactions in asthmatics, anaphylaxis and other allergic reactions in sensitive individuals.

Sodium metabisulphite and potassium metabisulphite are the primary ingredients in Campden tablets, used for wine and beer making.

It is commonly used in homebrewing and winemaking to sanitise equipment. It is used as a cleaning agent for potable water reverse osmosis membranes in desalination systems. It is also used to remove chloramine from drinking water after treatment.

It is used in photography.

Concentrated sodium metabisulphite can be used to remove tree stumps. 98% sodium metabisulphite causes degradation of lignin in the stumps, facilitating removal.

When mixed with water, sodium metabisulphite releases sulphur dioxide (SO2), a pungent, unpleasant smelling gas that can also cause breathing difficulties in some people. For this reason, sodium metabisulphite has fallen from common use in recent times, with agents such as hydrogen peroxide becoming more popular for effective and odorless sterilisation of equipment. Released sulphur dioxide however makes the water a strong reducing agent.